Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Amy Winehouse Phenomenon Update

So I'm just lolling about at breakfast,idly perusing the Thursday Styles section in the Times and in the lead article about celebrity detox facilities up pops the following reference:


At the Valentino show in Paris last month, 'Rehab', a popular ditty by Amy Winehouse, pulsed on the runway.

Carlos Souza, a public relations executive for the fashion house, crooned some of the lyrics:'They tried to make me go.. I said no,no
no.' The song is 'great,catchy and of the moment',he said....


While I'm still busy congratulating myself on referred hipness, Amy's song has already become a DITTY.
And it was just last night, on my drive home from work, that Terry Gross announced that, after a brief break, rock critic Ken Tucker would be reviewing the new album by.... AMY WINEHOUSE. I veered into the slow lane, adjusted the volume a bit higher, and took a cleansing breath. Ken sounded a tad smug, wondering if Amy's popularity might not be limited to aging baby boomers because of her musical influences. He admitted that the Rehab song is actually addictive in its own right. And then (I was way ahead of him here) he opined that Amy had gained considerable street cred because the rapper Ghostface agreed to record You Know I'm No Good with her. Now, I ask you, who is Ken Tucker to be referring to my guy Ghostface in such a truncated and familiar way? It's Mr. Killah to you, Ken.

3 comments:

Leslie Schiff said...

Hi Wendy.You are hilarious as always.
Because of your posting and her somewhat catchy name and background and looks, I had to see and hear for myself.
That very day they advertised in 1/2page format n the Venice News the advent of Amy Winehouse in Sarasota, a mere 30 minutes drive from here.
Then I saw her, while entertaining myself in the supermarket line,lurching toward me on the cover of a tabloid with Paris Hilton I think - it could no longer be Anna Nicole, the tragical heroine. Oh, I think it was the other member of the triumverate,little Brittany. Ubiqitous Amy indeed!
I know that Aunt Sarah, almost 93, will not accompany me to the concert as anything that is not of classical period she has sadly never heard of including Elvis and Bob Dylan. Hmmm. Short term memory loss? I don't think so.I think this goes into another unknown aging with grace category.
So, be that as it may, when I read your blog today , I felt in that generation myself. It made me feel OLD! Amy makes me feel old and out of it. Her lyrics make me feel old and also a little bit sad. Possibly how others reacted to Elvis, Dylan, Beatles, etc. Wow.Am I old? I didn't think so. Yet, I have no idea who Ghostface is or Ken Tucker. Guess I will have to read again much more slowly.Did so. Got it now.
But for he true litmus test of Amy's reach, I will ask Oc if she has yet heard of her down there in the land of salsa.It will exemplify the universal language of music ... or not .. bla bla bla. Will keep you informed. Of course, now that she is 21,as of yesterday, her taste is going to be something else I don't know ... possibly though includes Amy Winehouse. Will let you know if you care to ... Only then I will be better able to gauge my own aging process from the objective viewpoint.
But in the meantime, I want to say that you are very cool,much more cool than I and kudos to Anna for her generosity in sharing the ways of young adults. You are cool AND fortunate !
Xo and thanks for the blog
Leslie

Unknown said...

Since I am also a "boomer" and quite out of the loop - I tracked Amy Winehouse down on YouTube - and she is now starring at Blog Writers and Artists Network.

Thanks for the hip flash! Now, I didn't say hip replacement, did I?

mishillionaire said...

Hello BlogMommy!

Thanks for finding us over at http://iusedtodancewithmydaddy.blogspot.com !

Amy Winehouse can appeal to everyone, i think.. unless you dont have soul! I like cleaning my apartment to her music. Hahah. Its also awesome that you are into Ghostface Killah.. do you like any of the others of the Wu Tang? Gizza.. Rizza.. maybe the Ol Dirty Bizza? Heheee